Sunday 10 April 2016

Manisha Parmar (Mistry)

Manisha Parmar (Mistry) is originally from India. She is famous for her participation in the exciting 3rd edition of The Great British Bake Off.

Here is what the BBC have to say about Manisha: “Her baking passion began when her mum showed her how to make a Victoria Sponge. Her strengths are classic English biscuits, cakes and pastry but she also makes some Indian biscuits and cakes too.”

GM: What inspired you to take part in this competition?
MM: I was watching the ending of the second series of bake off, was thinking ‘I can do all this’. How hard could it be to bake a few biscuits and cupcakes. So I applied instantly and within a day or two I got a response. Baking is my hobby and love to watch and try new ways of baking.

GM: How did you react to the news that you had been accepted as a participant on The Great British Bake Off?
MM:I was in my car with my brother, just finished shopping and the phone rang!!! They told me I was chosen to be one of the 12 contestant of the show. I was really shocked and excited. It really boosted my confidence up and I was ecstatic to start this new journey.


GM: Did you practise and learn new recipes before going on the show?
MM: I knew a lot about bread, but never made it before so that was something new I tried. I absolutely loved experimenting flavours for bagels and learning the techniques on making bagels.

GM: Can you describe to our readers what it was like the behind the scenes on the competition?
MM: It was great behind the scenes, lots of people, camera’s everywhere. For me it was more about being more sociable and experimenting what’s out there in the world. Watching others use different techniques and mix matching flavours.

GM: Which is your favourite Bake Off?
MM: I absolutely loved our series of bake off because it was fun and really exciting. However, I loved the latest bake off series with Tamal, Nadia and co. they all seemed to be a brilliant bunch of bakers

GM: We met on Bristol Food Connection Festival. What do you think about Bristol?


MM: I absolutely love Bristol, while I was filming in Somerset, we stayed in Bristol and it was a beautiful city especially in the summer. I was invited to come to the Bristol foodie’s festival. It was fabulous to see peoples love for different foods, and people coming to watch me bake. I visited Bristol to meet up with a few friends and hopefully will be attending the Bristol balloon festival and Bristol foodie’s festival this year.

GM: We run a health-conscious blog, which is aimed to help people who wish to change diet to becoming vegetarian, vegan or gluten free. What is your favourite nourishing dish?
MM: Since being pregnant, I seemed to love vegetarian foods, food such as lentil, vegetable rice dishes, simple chilli tomato pasta with spinach.

GM: Would like to take our challenge?
MM: Maybe :0)

GM: Would you like to share with our readers on of your favourite healthy recipes?
MM: 
vegetarian, sugar free
Homemade fruit yogurt

Ingredients:
Quarter of pineapple - small cubes
6 lychees - peels and roughly chopped
Hand full of blue berries
Hand full of raspberries
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla paste
Pot of fat free Greek yogurt

Method:

In a pan, put ½ tsp unsalted butter, heat on low.
Melt the butter. Add all the fruit in the pan and mix, medium heat and cover for 10 mins. Add the cinnamon and vanilla paste and mix, low heat and cover 15 mins till fruit is soft. Once cooked take off the heat and cool completely.
Use this mix fruit in Greek yogurt, granola or seeded crackers. This recipe has no added sugar and low in fat. Great for breakfast and snack


vegetarian, sugar free
Banana and blueberry pancakes

Ingridents:
145g plain flour
1tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
130ml milk
1 large egg
1 large ripe banana (mashed)
Hand full of blueberries

Method


In a jug sift flour, baking powder, salt. Add the milk and egg. Whisk the ingredients together. Fold the mashed banana and mix in the blue berries. Heat a non-stick pan, add a small amount of melted butter. Using a ladle, scoop some of the batter on the pan and cook. Once you see small bubbles forming on top of the pancakes you can flip the pancakes. Cook for 2 to 3 mins.
You can have these fluffy pancakes with homemade vanilla yogurt, honey and strawberries.

Interviewed by Greg Macalla

No comments:

Post a Comment