Friday 4 November 2016

Tzatziki

vegetarian, gluten free
I learned how to make this Tzatziki recipe while I was visiting Crete  – everyone who tries it tells me that it’s the authentic recipe they were looking for!




Let me start by apologizing for not posting this sooner. I know I’ve promised you all sorts of Greek recipes, so starting today I am going to deliver! First things first…. Tzatziki.




This is a classic Greek appetizer made from thick strained yogurt, cucumber, garlic, olive oil, and fresh mint and dill. It’s super simple to make and a hit at any get-together!



Make sure your grated cucumber is well-drained. If you have time, you can drain it in a fine mesh sieve overnight.
If you’re in a rush, you can use your hands to squeeze the liquid out of the cucumber.
The longer the garlic rests in the yogurt, the less sharp bite it will have and the better it will taste.




Serves 4 to 6 as a starter 
Ingredients:
½ a large cucumber
2 cloves of garlic
2 tablespoons quality extra virgin olive oil
1 x 500g tub of strained Greek yoghurt
1 small bunch of fresh dill
a few sprigs of fresh mint
1 lemon
optional: 1 teaspoon dried mint


Method:

Grate the cucumber and drain through a fine mesh sieve overnight in the fridge.
Combine the yogurt, garlic, oil, vinegar, and salt in a large bowl. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
Transfer the grated cucumber and fresh dill to the yogurt mixture and stir to combine. Serve chilled with pita bread for dipping. 

I’d love for you to keep in touch! You can enter your email address right here to get new recipes sent to you twice per week. Join me on Facebook and Instagram!!

No comments:

Post a Comment